Monday 27 April 2015

Winger

Winger
By Andrew Smith

I decided to read this book after seeing so many posts on instagram about it. I wasn't disappointed. So many people had said it was fabulous or recommended it to be read so I went in with a hope that it would be just as good as they said. I had absolutely no idea what the book was about before I began to read it other than the amazing front and matching back cover.

Winger is about a young boy Ryan Dean West who is only 14, two years younger than any other student in his classes. His a starting player on the schools rugby team, the Winger, hence the nickname. Just before school started in his eleventh year Ryan Dean got into a bit of trouble meaning he got moved to Opportunity Hall, rooming with the very large and very scary teammate Chas. Winger's best friend Annie is 'smoking hot' as too is every girl Winger lays eyes on. Winger's besties JP and Seanie are on the rugby team as well. Unfortunately, Winger and JP have a falling out due to Annie being the rose in both their eyes. Winger makes an unusual friend in captain Joey who is also known as the out of the closet gay kid at Pine Mountain boarding school. Ryan begins the year as a scrawny no body who doesn't even know what a girl is to someone who has kissed multiple girls, cheated on his roomie, ruined a friendship, gained a new one and is known to have the biggest balls out of anyone in the school at the end of the year.

This book made me laugh uncontrollably all the way through, so much so my friends thought I was going crazy. The comics are hilarious as are the bar charts. They definitely provide for light reading that will make you feel happy no matter what is going on. The ending however! Wow! I did not see that coming. In fact it was so unbelievably depressing and mood deflating I don't know whether it was literary genius or destruction. The book almost ended on a sour note. My favourite character throughout the story had to be Joey (cry) and I did like the sexual tension and witty humour between Annie and Winger. From now on anyone who posts on instagram about Winger, well I will now be able to reply with comments because I too have read the book and know what you are talking about.

Loved it! Very funny! Great drawings! Horrible ending (horrible in a good way, maybe)! A recommended light read.

No comments:

Post a Comment